The fall 2023 reading group selection is Small Teaching, by James Lang (2nd edition).
If you will be attending the reading group and would like for the CTE to purchase a hard copy of the book for you, please fill out this form. Please respond by August 21st if you would like a hard copy of the book.
The first edition is available as an e-book through the Fondren Library. One copy is also available for checkout from the CTE library.
Fall 2023 reading group dates
The reading group meets on Wednesdays from 12:00-1:00pm in Herring 129; lunch (pizza) is provided.
Wednesday, September 6: Chapters 1-3
Wednesday, October 11: Chapters 4-6
Wednesday, November 1: Chapters 7-9
Please RSVP here if you plan to attend!
Past reading group selections
- Higher Education by Derek Bok
- Overcoming Student Learning Bottlenecks: Decode the Critical Thinking of Your Discipline by Joan Middendorf and Leah Shopkow
- The Inequality Machine: How College Divides Us by Paul Tough
- Race, Equity, and the Learning Environment edited by Frank Tuitt, Chaya Hanes, and Saran Stewart
- Relationship-Rich Education: How Human Connections Drive Success in College by Peter Felton and Leo M. Lambert
- Connected Teaching: Relationship, Power, and Mattering in Higher Education by Harriet L. Schwartz, Laurent A. Daloz, and Judith V. Jordan
- Small Teaching Online by James Lang
- The Privileged Poor by Anthony Abraham Jack
- How Humans Learn: The Science and the Stories Behind Effective College Teaching by Joshua Eyler
- The New Education by Cathy N. Davidson
- Make It Stick by Peter Brown, Henry L. Reedier III, and Mark A. McDaniel
- How College Works by Daniel Chambliss and Christopher Takacs
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life by William Deresiewicz