GRADUATE TEACHING AWARD FOR INDEPENDENT INSTRUCTION
Every Rice graduate student who served as an Instructor of Record in either the Fall of 2017, Spring of 2018, or Summer of 2018 is eligible to apply for the 2019 Graduate Teaching Award for Independent Instruction.
October 1, 2018
December 3, 2018
February 1, 2019
March 15, 2019
April 23, 2019
Initial Applications Due (submit at the bottom of this page)
Finalists Selected; Candidates Notified
Finalist Portfolios Due
Winners Selected; Candidates Notified
Winners Honored at University Teaching Awards Ceremony
First Round Application
The initial application must include the following four items to be considered complete:
- A completed application form.
- A cover letter that explains why, given the criteria outlined below, you should be considered for this award
- Student Learning
- Use of Evidence-Based Instruction
- Rapport with Students
- Overall Philosophy of Teaching
- Short responses to the following three prompts about your teaching
- Briefly describe your best teaching moment while teaching this course.
- What activity or assignment was most effective at helping you monitor whether students were learning what you wanted them to learn? Why?
- Briefly describe a specific challenge you faced while teaching this course, how you responded, and what you learned from the experience.
- Official copies of your instructor and course evaluation results for the relevant course (instructions here)
We ask that all candidates combine these materials into a single PDF file before submitting via the dropbox below. An example of a properly formatted, completed application can be found to the right of the dropbox.
Second Round Application Materials
If a candidate is selected as a finalist, they will have two months to put together a teaching portfolio of up to 25 pages. This portfolio can include any of the following:
- An Extended Teaching Philosophy
- The Course Syllabus
- Representative Assignments
- Anonymized Examples of Student Work and Instructor Feedback
- Anonymized Examples of Informal Student Feedback
- Classroom Observation Reports. Download a CTE designed observation form here: